Prospecting for gold in South Sudan



Extracting Gold

«They are mining for gold in the mountains of Allaqi» .. Password transient uttered behind Qenawy, official guest house I was staying by the Shalatin, on the sidelines of a discussion between us about the livelihoods of the inhabitants of this border city, I did not know it was cost me my life, when I wanted to go into the focus during my meetings with some of the tribal people.

In a visit invited me to engineer geologist environmentalists in the city to collect tribe Maabda, claiming to identify their customs and traditions, and drink cheese «Coffee Bedouin», touched upon the subject of exploration for gold, if faces hosts have changed, and their smiles welcoming turned to gaze bored, and their voices quiet now Kzir Laith ready to devour its prey, a shift noted tribal my friend engineer who feign closely he has to end the session, after a short mumbling, including the Beja language, the language of most of the tribes of the south.

Once we are out of the pool is unfortunate we, burst Engineer laughter, saying that what I did like the b «comedy sci-fi movies». He said: «I will pay your age because of what I said, talk about gold here from Great secrets, even though the topic is very common and very, very openly».

He added: «After the demise of the boom trade in Shalatin resorted youth phenomenon prospecting for gold in the Valley Allaqi, which is one of the most important areas of gold in Egypt, and spread of this phenomenon after finding young people to large amounts of raw gold cycle, each family owns SUV and a device to detect gold ».

In front of one of the houses stopped Eng his car to shake hands with a young man in his mid-twenties, and then quickly cut him what I did at a gathering Alababdh to jarring echo Dgathma over the place, and then he went my part, saying: «If you promised me not to remember any details meant I will tell you a story went Allaqi», Vuadth without thinking to continue his speech by saying: «One day I came and my brothers and us detector gold, which is similar to mine detectors with remote sensing, intending to return wealth large, Vmktna journey in search for four days, and we found a piece of rock contains traces of gold Astkhrzinaha from a depth of about 50 cm under the ground, and when Xrnaha found gold ore in the form of wires inside helical weighing more than 10 kg ».

And how to behave in the amounts of gold that they find them, he said: «We have dealers come to us whenever we found gold to buy crude at Gram Gram mixture with copper, rather it good for everyone».

«Why exactly Allaqi» .. Question that I asked for this young man came to answer from my friend the engineer, who said: «Allaqi named ancient land of gold because they contain many of the gold mines, and the oldest and finest mines copper in Egypt, is also considered one of the three most important sites in the Eastern Desert of gold production, next to Mount diabetes, which is 25 kilometers southwest of the city of Marsa Alam and the Valley Hamesh and 100 kilometers south-west of the city of Marsa ».

«We the way back to my residence, I kept Never argue with my friend engineer about this profession, and whether the State is aware of what is happening, he said to me:« There are things hidden in this topic, and a liar who says that state agencies do not know anything about gold, especially that a large number of young Shalatin was arrested during the search for gold, and all of them have been tried on charges of infiltrating the border, a charge punishable by three years in prison, but I advise you not to talk about this issue throughout the period of your visit to the triangle, because it affects the most important source of livelihood for the majority of its population ».

My Instagram